Skip to main content

Incredibly Busy in the Library


Guess what?!? When eating at Your Pie in Suwanee, I saw an advertisement in the side of the napkin dispenser. It got me to thinking, 'Do our school napkin dispensers have this feature? 
How could I leverage that into getting my students to read even more?' 

It turns out that our Cafeteria Manager, Mrs. Mathis, is cool with me having students share their book reviews in the sides of our cafeteria napkin dispensers!  So, I pulled typed, book reviews that students had already submitted on Biblionasium, and formatted them to fit.  I added a picture of the book cover with the students' name, teacher, and grade.  I emailed their teachers to send them down for a photo to share on our school's Twitter feed, #SharonStrong.  Fingers crossed more students take the time to write an engaging book review to share with the school!

 

I set up a Biblionasium challenge for Newberry books where students have to read and log 10 of 25 Newberry winning books from 1994 - 2018.  Zaxby's has donated free kids' meal cards for prizes, and will be giving us a Kindle to use as a grand prize!  Students who read and complete Biblionasium challenges will be entered to win!  I set up an October Challenge, where students read 3 mystery genre chapter books or novels. 
I have plans to post a new challenge each month.   

Another happy accident this month was from when I was in the textbook closet to count how many old adoption textbooks needed to be weeded. I happened to see these big books! (pictured left)  Turns out that one of our autism teachers was more than happy to add them to her classroom.

Then, I also found loads of unwanted leveled readers, and snagged them for a new "what to do if you've got a book overdue".  Saw this cute idea on Pinterest, so I slapped some duct tape on the spine, and put them out.  In just 3 days, I've already had 2 different kids opt to take one when they couldn't check out due to overdue books.  It's not exactly what they wanted, but it's better than leaving empty-handed.



 In 1st and 5th grade, we've started doing some Digital Citizenship Lessons.  First grade did a Nearpod lesson (pictured below) to explore a website to determine which features of that website they liked or disliked.  In our next lesson, we looked at PebbleGo and Britannica School, first to learn how to navigate to those databases, and second, to explore the different features of each database.  LOVE first graders and how excited they are to learn and do more!
Fifth grade has been working on evaluating online sources, looking at the domain for trustworthiness, locating an author or publisher, and checking the source for links to valid sources that don't have bias.  Then in our next lesson, we practiced how to search online, for those times we are away from school, and have a question we think Google can answer.  ;)  They LOVED seeing who could put together a search phrase that came back with the least, most valid sources.  Adding parentheses, + or - signs, "OR", or searching synonyms were just a few of the things they tried to narrow their results.

In kindergarten, we've been reviewing different types of nonfiction materials (newspaper, magazine, cookbook, how-to, and descriptive).  In 3rd and 4th grade, we've been reviewing different types of reference materials (dictionary, thesaurus, atlas, and almanac).  

And, in 2nd grade, we've been learning about author, Grace Lin's life, her inspiration for illustrating and writing, and how she has books for all ages.  Each class has watched a bit of an interview from Reading Rockets, so they hear her voice and listen to her talk about the importance of "writing what you know".  On GraceLin.com, we explored her studio, and saw her many sketch books and writer's notebooks!  We learned about her family and her book characters.




Put together this cute October bulletin board in Powerpoint, and had my 5th grade helpers make cute monsters from construction paper!

















Update on my personal GoodReads Book Challenge: I'm up to 38 of my 100 books goal for 2018.  Read "Superfreakonomics" and "Think Like a Freak" over fall break.  



Comments

  1. This is so cool.... Am sure the students will love this great addition

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarter 1 Common Core ELA & Math

Forsyth County, GA posted a link to the pacing guide they have created for next school year. I printed it out and took it home to look it over and start planning for next August. I know, I know. I'm working on the first day of summer vacation, but I need to wrap my brain around the new standards and how they will mesh together with science and social studies. Here is what I created for quarter 1 English/Language Arts. (Hopefully, the following quarters won't be so time consuming!) Everything in black type was provided by the county or the Common Core Standards website. Everything in blue type is something of my own that I added. Here is what I created for quarter 1 math common core content.

Smile

Look at that shelf. Such disarray.  That's kind of how I felt around mid-August.  Pulled in too many directions.  On overload.  In need of a bookend to hold me up and set me straight.  (or, in need of more time in my day)  One week, I tried staying no later than 4 PM, and leaving undone what I couldn't accomplish, but that was stressful, too! I currently spend around 30 minutes everyday, either during classes, during planning, or after, afternoon car duty, to keep all of the books shelved.  I'm doing a better job of preventing the shelves from looking like the one pictured above.  (We've had 3 different moms come a collective six times to volunteer to help with shelving. Yay for Mrs. Stratton, who has come back multiple times!)  I implemented a new change this year, to allow 4th and 5th graders to re-shelve their own fiction or everybody/picture books.  That has helped! I also started a 5th grade program called "Castle Apprentice" (since our library

Khan Academy

Good Morning! Enjoying a relaxing morning at my parents' house for a family visit. We were watching CBS This Morning and saw an interview with Salmon Kahn about his Khan Academy . It offers online videos of a grand variety of topics so that all students can have a "world class education". However, it ALSO has benefits for teachers, other than being FREE, it offers detailed profiles on individual students with an at-a-glance tool for seeing every video that that child has viewed and a class summary graph to show progress or need for remediation. The site also offers a vertical continuum of skills so that you can go straight to the topic you need and/or go back to more foundational skills to tackle more difficult skills. Lastly, the site awards "badges" for student mastery of skills. Students must create their own account and then add the teacher as a "coach". There are several safety features to keep students from posting private informa