Skip to main content

Khan Academy

Good Morning! Enjoying a relaxing morning at my parents' house for a family visit. We were watching CBS This Morning and saw an interview with Salmon Kahn about his Khan Academy. It offers online videos of a grand variety of topics so that all students can have a "world class education".



However, it ALSO has benefits for teachers, other than being FREE, it offers detailed profiles on individual students with an at-a-glance tool for seeing every video that that child has viewed and a class summary graph to show progress or need for remediation. The site also offers a vertical continuum of skills so that you can go straight to the topic you need and/or go back to more foundational skills to tackle more difficult skills. Lastly, the site awards "badges" for student mastery of skills.



Students must create their own account and then add the teacher as a "coach". There are several safety features to keep students from posting private information, as well as parent controls. The Khan Academy is working on multiple log-ins from one account, but doesn't have this option available yet. The teacher also creates an account and can then "see" students who have added them as a coach.



This is something I will definitely be using in my classroom for differentiation! It will allow my talented math students to challenge themselves and my need-more-practice students to get more practice and a 2nd teacher, virtually. There is also a free iPad app for Khan Academy.

Comments

  1. Hey old roomie,
    I just stumbled upon your blog. :) I'm teaching 4th this year, and trying to gather resources and do other stuff since I can't get into my classroom yet (new school. . .new classroom). You have a lot of good stuff on here! AND, this post caught my eye because Sal Khan went to my high school. He was a few years ahead of me, but I knew several people who were there with him. Small world!

    Stacy Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stacy!
    That's cool! Let me know if you ever need anything. I saw on FB post that it's your 6th year to teach. Congrats! I felt so old this year - my 11th year! If you have something cool, send it my way. Do you have an ePal? I was thinking about signing up for that, and since you teach 4th, it might be cool to be ePals with a class in a different state.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarter 1 Common Core ELA & Math

Forsyth County, GA posted a link to the pacing guide they have created for next school year. I printed it out and took it home to look it over and start planning for next August. I know, I know. I'm working on the first day of summer vacation, but I need to wrap my brain around the new standards and how they will mesh together with science and social studies. Here is what I created for quarter 1 English/Language Arts. (Hopefully, the following quarters won't be so time consuming!) Everything in black type was provided by the county or the Common Core Standards website. Everything in blue type is something of my own that I added. Here is what I created for quarter 1 math common core content.

Smile

Look at that shelf. Such disarray.  That's kind of how I felt around mid-August.  Pulled in too many directions.  On overload.  In need of a bookend to hold me up and set me straight.  (or, in need of more time in my day)  One week, I tried staying no later than 4 PM, and leaving undone what I couldn't accomplish, but that was stressful, too! I currently spend around 30 minutes everyday, either during classes, during planning, or after, afternoon car duty, to keep all of the books shelved.  I'm doing a better job of preventing the shelves from looking like the one pictured above.  (We've had 3 different moms come a collective six times to volunteer to help with shelving. Yay for Mrs. Stratton, who has come back multiple times!)  I implemented a new change this year, to allow 4th and 5th graders to re-shelve their own fiction or everybody/picture books.  That has helped! I also started a 5th grade program called "Castle Apprentice" (since our library

Common Core Math Games and Resources

Whoo! Another find from Pinterest. Here is a site with games linked to common core standards. While I'm entirely sure that the Expressions part of the math text we adopted several years ago will excellently support the new common core standards, it is always nice to have additional resources for parent volunteer centers or small group remediation games. I also like the list of math read aloud titles. There are also links to free online games that support standards too. It's nice to find so many resources all in one place!