Skip to main content

Fond Memories & On to Summer!

As always, I'm very far behind on posting, but I've finally combed through all of the photos and put them into Layout to share with you.

Created a "Reading Helps Your Mind Bloom" book display, to leave up as state testing started.  I pulled lots of gardening, bees, and butterfly books. Plus, lots of potential parents came through at the end of the year for tours, so it was good to have this out to keep it from being too sterile as all the library books started coming back.  
 

I did a "Hop Into a Great Book" display here to put an emphasis on some seldom-circulated books as well as to highlight nonfiction, though I also put out some fiction books too!

Kept on teaching kindergarten and first graders about different authors.  I did create some very fun centers for Mo Willems.  As one paraprofessional said to me, "You're brave to do Play-Doh on carpet."  However, we didn't really have any issues when I gave the kids clear expectations for use.  They're such sweet students, and they made it work!  LOVE the different ideas they came up with giving Naked Mole Rat clothes!  (see bottom left) 

Held a successful Battle of the Books for our school groups with the help of Mrs. Tate. Already looking forward to next year.  I went ahead and pulled all of the books we already own for the 2016-2017 list.

Look which book won the 2016 Georgia Book Award!  I was quite surprised. Not a lot of our students voted for this one, though it is an adorable story.  In this Layout, I also added a picture of "Celebrating Women's History" month and "Music in Our Schools Month".  My husband and I had just been to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra to see an ode to Robert Shaw (my fave!) concert, and I read in the program about how it was "Music in Our Schools Month".  I immediately pulled books to do with music and songs and lyrics and put them on display, in addition to the display I was already planning to celebrate strong, brave, intelligent women of note.


We got in a HUGE order of new fiction books and books that support our teachers' standards!  Lots of student and teacher input went into this order, as well as a need to add books that match the shift in our school's cultural make-up.  Having desirable fiction titles is an easy way to keep kids coming back to check out another book to read!

I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of our third grade team at the county Battle of the Books competition, but I did snap one of our fourth grade team.  There are also a couple of shots of how ornately Haw Creek decorates its halls and doors for the competition.  I dressed up as a Hogwarts witch, as did Ms. Grimes, and we volunteered in the snack room.  The kids had lots of fun and friendly competition!

Here are just a few photos of 2nd and 3rd grade students' Passion Projects.  I had students choose a topic that they were interested in, but knew little to nothing about.  They investigated on Galileo and through Britannica online.  They chose whatever type of product they were willing to create, though I did show all of them Google Slides, and many opted for that choice.  We toured the room to learn from what others created.  

Bresden (bottom left) brought in a Polish flag, since he wanted to learn more about Poland, where his grandparents originated.  Other students (bottom right) made 3D informational cards.  It's difficult to see, but in the (bottom right) image, students included their Cornell Method notes.  
LOVE when they really take to a note-taking method!

More Passion Projects!
I also included a picture of me and Mrs. Johnson (bottom middle), all dressed up for our school's end of year celebration day!  It was a "Zootopia" theme this year, so we snapped a picture since we were both giraffes.  (I just chose giraffe since I'm so tall.)

Told my students all about Barnes&Noble's free book for summer reading program.  Added a link to the "reading journal" on our library ItsLearning course.  Also shared Get Georgia Reading and our new Follett eBooks with all students, K-5, before the summer break.  
Additionally, had our local, public library come and do 30-minute assemblies for each grade-level to entice students to get a library card and participate in some fun, summer programs. 
And, finally, did some weeding of unused reference books to teachers at our school and to a new elementary school opening in the county next fall.

One of the first things I've done this summer was go out and read a good book in the backyard with my dog, Brodie.  Our flowers in the yard are in full bloom and beautiful!  
And, my husband and I formally opened our Teachers Pay Teachers store, "My Dear Watson".

Here's to more sleeping in, reading kids' books, and more sunny, sunny summer days!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarter 1 Common Core ELA & Math

Forsyth County, GA posted a link to the pacing guide they have created for next school year. I printed it out and took it home to look it over and start planning for next August. I know, I know. I'm working on the first day of summer vacation, but I need to wrap my brain around the new standards and how they will mesh together with science and social studies. Here is what I created for quarter 1 English/Language Arts. (Hopefully, the following quarters won't be so time consuming!) Everything in black type was provided by the county or the Common Core Standards website. Everything in blue type is something of my own that I added. Here is what I created for quarter 1 math common core content.

Smile

Look at that shelf. Such disarray.  That's kind of how I felt around mid-August.  Pulled in too many directions.  On overload.  In need of a bookend to hold me up and set me straight.  (or, in need of more time in my day)  One week, I tried staying no later than 4 PM, and leaving undone what I couldn't accomplish, but that was stressful, too! I currently spend around 30 minutes everyday, either during classes, during planning, or after, afternoon car duty, to keep all of the books shelved.  I'm doing a better job of preventing the shelves from looking like the one pictured above.  (We've had 3 different moms come a collective six times to volunteer to help with shelving. Yay for Mrs. Stratton, who has come back multiple times!)  I implemented a new change this year, to allow 4th and 5th graders to re-shelve their own fiction or everybody/picture books.  That has helped! I also started a 5th grade program called "Castle Apprentice" (since our library

Khan Academy

Good Morning! Enjoying a relaxing morning at my parents' house for a family visit. We were watching CBS This Morning and saw an interview with Salmon Kahn about his Khan Academy . It offers online videos of a grand variety of topics so that all students can have a "world class education". However, it ALSO has benefits for teachers, other than being FREE, it offers detailed profiles on individual students with an at-a-glance tool for seeing every video that that child has viewed and a class summary graph to show progress or need for remediation. The site also offers a vertical continuum of skills so that you can go straight to the topic you need and/or go back to more foundational skills to tackle more difficult skills. Lastly, the site awards "badges" for student mastery of skills. Students must create their own account and then add the teacher as a "coach". There are several safety features to keep students from posting private informa